The people we talked to offered many different types of advice based on their experiences of having Osteoporosis. Here is what they said:
Managing your condition
- Fractures do heal and you will get better.
- Exercise and be as active as you possibly can.
- Go for regular walks.
- Eat healthily and have a diet which is rich in calcium.
- Take calcium supplements.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Do not smoke or drink too much alcohol.
- Medication is very important. Make sure you keep taking it.
- If you have side effects from your medication go back to your doctor and have it changed.
- Pay more attention to your footwear. It is important.
- Doctors are there to help you, but always ask questions.
- If you have backache ask your doctor to investigate. Don’t suffer in silence.
- Stay on top of the research evidence.
- Get in touch with a support group. They can give information and support.
Get plenty of information and support, live healthily and if you have back problems push your…
Carry out good back care and invest in comfortable footwear.
Fractures do heal and you will get better.
Be as active as you possibly can, have a high calcium diet and get in contact with your local…
Attitude to life
- Keep positive even when at times it is difficult.
- Accept your limitations.
- Enjoy life.
- Pace yourself and don’t try and do too much.
- Don’t feel sorry for yourself.
- Recognise that as you get older your strength and energy will become limited. It is not just because of osteoporosis.
- Helping others can help you too.
- After a fracture don’t lose your confidence and keep being active.